Mustachudos e Biscochos para Hanuka 2022
Biscochos Recipe (Jon Varsano Recipe)
Juice of one orange
1/2 cup of a neutral cooking oil (I prefer avocado)
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
3 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup of sesame seeds
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp orange blossom water
1/4 cinnamon sugar
1/4 cup of finely chopped semi-sweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees
- Sift flour and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
- Beat two eggs (set other egg aside for egg wash) in an electric mixer, then add sugar, oil and orange juice until combined.
- Gradually add flour with mixer on medium speed. Continue to mix until dough forms a soft clay-like ball.
- Remove dough and separate into four equal sized balls
- Add orange blossom water to one or more the ball as desired
- Knead dough on cutting board or clean countertop. Take a golf ball sized piece and roll it out to approximately 12 inches long. Form rope of dough into desired shape. Traditional shapes are a simple ring and a pretzel shape, make sure to pinch the ends so it keeps its shape. Other shapes are a ring with ends half scored forming a flower-like shape, straight twist, cinnamon roll shape, and whatever creative shapes you desire. Make it fun.
- Beat one egg and place in a small bowl. Use a basting brush to coat one side of cookies with egg wash.
- Decorate the tops of the cookies with desired toppings. White sesame seeds or cinnamon sugar are traditionally, but I like to add chocolate bits or sprinkles as well.
- Carefully transfer cookies with a spatula to a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake approximately 30 minutes until golden brown in color, white is undercooked and dark brown is overcooked.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Pairs well with tea, coffee, or wine.
Mustachudo Recipe (Jon Varsano Recipe)
3 cups of hazelnuts (filberts)
1 cup of sugar
1 Tbs of honey
1 Tbs of orange zest
1 tsp of cinnamon
1/2 tsp of nutmeg (cloves or allspice may also be substituted)
Powdered sugar, as desired
1/2 cup of small semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees
- Add hazelnuts and sugar to a food processor and pulse until mixture is a paste-like consistency.
- Mix in zest, honey, and spices. Optional: separate half of the dough and add chocolate chips. I like to make 1/2 the batch with chocolate and half without to appeal to a variety of palettes.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet and add teaspoon sized drops of cookie dough on paper. Leave approximately 2 inches space between cookies.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Allow cookies to cool on cooking rack.
- Dust the tops of the cookies with powdered sugar. Serve with tea or coffee, or store in a sealed container.
Varsano Family Passover Breakfast Specialty
Burmuelos aka Bimuelos (Sarah (Varsano) Gerecht Recipe -1998)
1/2 lb box of Matzoh, approximately 4-5 sheets
4 large eggs
Shato or Chateau
Sugar, powdered is preferable
Cocoa powder, if desired
- Smash matzohs in large a mixing bowl and add water until submerged. Mix together until batter is smooth, drain excess water.
- Beat eggs in separate bowl and combine with batter.
- Heat a a small amount of oil in a large frying or griddle over medium heat. Take batter with a spoon and add to hot oil.
- Fry pancakes on both sides untIl golden brown and delicious.
- Remove from frying pan and place on baking sheet to keep warm in oven or serve immediately.
- Separate the egg whites and yolks.
- Beat egg whites (electric mixer is easiest) until white and firm.
- Fold in sugar and cocoa powder (if desired).
- Add egg yolk into mixture and stir gently.
- Serve on top of burmuelos.